Gather around as a family for this 5th installment of our kids’ devotional series – “Stuck: How God Meets us in Tight Places.”
Scroll down to find Scriptures, Discussion Questions, Prayer Guide, and Activities.
Stuck in a Boat – Simon Peter
Isaiah 6:1-8 (Compare Isaiah’s call with Simon’s call)
WHAT (what did we learn from God’s Word?)
- What were the names of the men fishing? (Simon (a.k.a. Peter), James, and John)
- What were they doing while Jesus taught? (Cleaning their fishing nets)
- What two things did Jesus ask them to do? (Let Him teach from their boats, and then put down their nets to catch more fish)
- What happened next, and how did Simon Peter respond? (They brought so many fish the nets were breaking, and the boats started sinking! Simon Peter fell at Jesus’ knees and begged Him to go away!)
- What did Jesus say to them? (Don’t be afraid, Follow me!)
SO WHAT? (Why does it matter?)
- Why is it kind of funny that Simon Peter said “Go away!” and fell at Jesus’ knees at the same time? (He was scared, but also stayed close to Jesus)
- Why did Simon Peter ask Jesus to go away? (He knew that he was a sinful man) What is sin? (Anything we think, say, or do that goes against God)
NOW WHAT? (What difference does it make in my life?)
- Jesus stepped into Simon Peter’s world (fisherman) to reach him. Jesus stepped into our world (human being) to reach us. Has Jesus gotten your attention? What kinds of distractions might be keeping you from listening to and following Him?
- Simon Peter confessed his sin when He saw who Jesus was. Have you? Spend some time during your prayer time confessing your sins to Jesus.
PRAYER TIME (“TAG Time”)
- TELL: Tell God how you feel, tell Him the things you are thankful for, tell Him how much you need Him (confess your sins)
- ASK: Ask God for what you need, ask Him to help you and others (Doctors and nurses, people in our community who don’t know Jesus, our church, the people that we miss seeing, people who may not have their jobs anymore, and anyone else that you can think of.)
- GIVE: Give God glory, honor, and praise!
- Luke 5:1-11 & Isaiah 6:1-8 (Compare Isaiah’s call with Simon’s call): what things are similar about these two stories?
- Here’s a Simon Peter Coloring Page