To keep up with the kids in our church and community, and help parents continue shepherding their children towards Jesus while we cannot meet as a church, we encourage you to gather around as a family for this first installment of a kids’ devotional series – “Stuck: How God Meets us in Tight Places.”
All of us at Redeemer Kids already miss seeing you at Sunday School, Children’s Church, Upside Down, and Chapel at TRS!
Stuck in a Pit – Joseph
“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you”
– Stealers Wheel
“Oh, The Pit.
I fell in The Pit.
You fell in The Pit.
We all fell in The Pit.”
– Mouse Rat
“Now Joseph had been brought down to Egypt, and Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, the captain of the guard, an Egyptian, had bought him from the Ishmaelites who had brought him down there. The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a successful man, and he was in the house of his Egyptian master. His master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD caused all that he did to succeed in his hands.” (Genesis 38:30–39:3 ESV)
“And Joseph’s master took him and put him into the prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were confined, and he was there in prison. But the LORD was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love and gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison. And the keeper of the prison put Joseph in charge of all the prisoners who were in the prison. Whatever was done there, he was the one who did it. The keeper of the prison paid no attention to anything that was in Joseph’s charge, because the LORD was with him. And whatever he did, the LORD made it succeed.” (Genesis 39:20–23 ESV)
“But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.”” (Genesis 50:19–21)
WHAT (what did we learn from God’s Word?)
- Where were the 3 places Joseph was stuck? (In the pit, in slavery, in prison)
- In what ways does Joseph remind us of Jesus? (Separated from His Father, sold for silver, falsely accused, crowned the King to save hungry people)
SO WHAT? (Why does it matter?)
- Where was God when He let Joseph get into some tight places? (Stuck in the middle WITH HIM)
NOW WHAT? (What difference does it make in my life?)
- Do you feel stuck? What are some other words that describe how you feel right now?
- How does it make you feel to know that God chose to be stuck on the cross so you wouldn’t be stuck in sin and death?
- How does it make you feel to know that God is stuck in the middle with us wherever we may be (good and bad)?
- What are some ways that you can stay close to God, even while we can’t meet and worship together as a church?
PRAYER TIME (“TAG Time”)
- TELL: Tell God how you feel, tell Him the things you are thankful for
- ASK: Ask God for what you need, ask Him to help you and others (Doctors and nurses, people in our community who don’t know Jesus, our church, the people that we miss seeing, people who may not have their jobs anymore, and anyone else that you can think of.)
- GIVE: Give God glory, honor, and praise!
- Pull out a Bible and have one of your children underline the passages in Gen 39:1-3 and 20-23 where we see that “the Lord was with Joseph”
- for Older kids: have them copy down Gen 50:19-21 in a journal. (They can also write down things like “I feel, I think, I want, I need, I pray”)
- for Younger kids: Here’s a Joseph Coloring Page