Gather around as a family for this fourth installment of our kids’ devotional series – “Stuck: How God Meets us in Tight Places.”
Scroll down to find Scriptures, Discussion Questions, Prayer Guide, and Activities.
Stuck in a Tomb – Lazarus
“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)
WHAT (what did we learn from God’s Word?)
- What was the name of the man who died? (Lazarus) Who were his sisters? (Mary and Martha)
- What did Jesus do when He saw everyone crying? (He got very upset and cried)
- What happened when Jesus called Lazarus? (Lazarus came back to life)
- What two things does scripture say we will do when Jesus calls us to life? (Confess that Jesus is Lord, Believe that God raised Him from the dead)
SO WHAT? (Why does it matter?)
- Why do you think people seemed confused/upset because Jesus didn’t make it in time? (They thought if Jesus had come sooner He could have kept Lazarus from dying)
- Why did Jesus allow this bad thing to happen? (For the Glory of God to be revealed, and for people to believe: “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” (John 11:4); “Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus has died,and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe.” (John 11:14–15)
- Are people supposed to die? Is it good/”normal”? (No – we were made to live forever, but now sin has filled our world)
- Why is there both sadness and celebration this week? (Good Friday: sadness remembering that Jesus took our consequences for sin. Easter Sunday: celebration remembering that Jesus defeated death and brings us back to life)
NOW WHAT? (What difference does it make in my life?)
- Jesus asked Martha “Do you believe this?” This is a great question for everyone in your family to answer – what does it mean to say you believe in Jesus?
- Sickness and death can be sad and scary. How does it make you feel to know that Jesus cares for His people in life, in death, and in new life (all the way through to heaven)?
- Do you have any questions for your mom and dad about sickness or death?
- Jesus is alive, and if you belong to Him, you are so closely united to Him that His resurrection guarantees your resurrection. How does this give you courage to live?
PRAYER TIME (“TAG Time”)
- TELL: Tell God how you feel, tell Him the things you are thankful for, tell Him how much you need Him (confess your sins)
- ASK: Ask God for what you need, ask Him to help you and others (Doctors and nurses, people in our community who don’t know Jesus, our church, the people that we miss seeing, people who may not have their jobs anymore, and anyone else that you can think of.)
- GIVE: Give God glory, honor, and praise!
- Read John 11:1-44 as a family (take your time)
- Pull out a Bible and have one of your children read Romans 10:9. Have them copy it down, and circle the words “confess” and “believe.” In their own words, let them write what they know, love, and trust about Jesus.
- Here’s a Resurrection Coloring Page