Gather around as a family for this third installment of our kids’ devotional series – “Stuck: How God Meets us in Tight Places.”
Scroll down to find Scriptures, Discussion Questions, Prayer Guide, and Activities.
Stuck in Silence – Esther
“Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?…No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers,nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:34–35; 37-39)
WHAT (what did we learn from God’s Word?)
- Where was Esther and the rest of Israel in exile? (Persia)
- What was her uncle’s name? (Mordecai) What was the name of their enemy? (Haman)
- What did Haman do? (Made an evil plan to kill God’s People)
- How did God “speak” in the book of Esther? (By placing Esther in the right place at the right time to save Israel)
SO WHAT? (Why does it matter?)
- How could Mordecai say that “deliverance will rise from some other place” (Esth. 4:14)? (God had made a promise to protect His people and send a Rescuer – the Messiah – through Abraham’s family)
- When did Jesus hear only silence from God the Father? (On the cross, as He paid the penalty/took the consequence for our sin)
- Where is Jesus now? (Reunited with God the Father – right next to Him)
NOW WHAT? (What difference does it make in my life?)
- Does it ever seem like God is silent or isn’t answering our prayers? What is that like for you?
- How does it make you feel to know that Jesus is right next to the King of Kings praying and speaking for you? Does that change the way you feel about your prayers? (Parents: You may want to remind kids that God always answers prayer. Sometimes He says “yes”, sometimes “no”, and sometimes “not right now.”)
PRAYER TIME (“TAG Time”)
- TELL: Tell God how you feel, tell Him the things you are thankful for, tell Him how much you need Him (confess your sins)
- ASK: Ask God for what you need, ask Him to help you and others (Doctors and nurses, people in our community who don’t know Jesus, our church, the people that we miss seeing, people who may not have their jobs anymore, and anyone else that you can think of.)
- GIVE: Give God glory, honor, and praise!
- Pull out a Bible and have one of your children read Romans 8:34–35; 37-39. Have them copy it down, and circle the things listed that feel big or scary. Have them write down anything else that – if it ever happened – might make them feel like God isn’t there, doesn’t care, or is just silent. Then, in big bold letters, write the word NOTHING across the whole page and EMBRACE THEM, reminding them that God would still be there through anything.
- Here’s an Esther Coloring Page