The Office of Elder
Book of Church Order 8-2: He that fills this office should possess a competency of human learning and be blameless in life, sound in the faith and apt to teach. He should exhibit a sobriety and holiness of life becoming the Gospel. He should rule his own house well and should have a good report of them that are outside the Church.
The Office of Deacon
Book of Church Order 9-3: To the office of deacon, which is spiritual in nature, shall be chosen men of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly spirit, warm sympathies, and sound judgment.
Biblical Character and Calling
As you prayerfully consider your nominee(s) and the aforementioned offices, please also consider what God's Word has to say about the qualifications of such offices.
1 Timothy 3:1-13
The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer (elder), he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may become puffed up with conceit and fall into the condemnation of the devil. Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.
Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
For an overseer (elder), as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined. He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
Guidelines for Nomination
- To nominate a man for office, you must be a communing member of Redeemer Church.
- All nominees must be active male members in good standing of Redeemer Church, having been a member for one year by installation/ordination day (February 2022).
- By installation/ordination, nominees for elder must be a minimum of 35 years of age, and deacon nominees must be a minimum of 25 years of age.
- You may nominate more than one qualified man to a designated office.
- Nominate men you have seen already serving in this kind of capacity in the life of the church, who know their Bible, and who demonstrate spiritual maturity both personally and publicly.
- A candidate must receive two nominations (not from family members) to be confirmed as a nominee.
- All officers must be able to receive and adopt our Confessional Standards and form of government.
- Upon receipt of nominations, the Session will screen all nominees. Approved nominees will be invited to officer training.
- Nominees must complete Redeemer Officer Training! This training will be on Wednesdays from 6:00-7:45 pm, from Aug 11 - Nov 17. We are hoping that the Lord will use the Officer's Training Class to help them discern their calling.
- Nominees will be tested, interviewed, and examined by the Session upon completion of officer training. They will be examined in areas of character and biblical/theological knowledge.
- Once approved by the Session, the congregation will vote on the candidates in a congregational meeting.
- Elected officers will be ordained and installed in a service in February.
Nomination Deadline: Sunday, June 6 at 9:00pm
Please commit to praying for these potential officers, our pastor, and our church. Grace and Peace to you!
Nominations will open on Sunday, May 23. Please return at that time to fill out the nomination form.